Sunday, October 25, 2015

Lack of Motivation

Everyone knows how important exercise is.  It should be a part of everyone's daily regimen, without fail.  And exercise can be anything from running to swimming to tossing the ball around in the yard with some friends or your kids.

Along with eating right, exercise can have the most amazing benefits.  Studies have proven people sleep better; have better brain function; more stamina; increased sex-drive; overall better attitude; and  even an inclination to eat a more healthy diet.  Overall, exercise works wonders for people.

So why don't we do it?

I don't know about anyone else, but I go through spurts of lacking motivation (like the last 2 months).  But I also go through spurts of watch-out-Imma-kick-some-ass motivation (like the 3 months prior to that).  Right now, I'm actually thinking to myself, "Damn, I was ripped for those 3 months!"  So why did I stop?

I suppose I could go into all kinds of excuses about how we just moved into a new house, and my two older kids are in school, and I'm still home with my youngest.  And since my husband isn't here full-time yet, I'm basically a single mother while he's gone.  I have lunches to make, dinners to make, food shopping, dentist appointments, doctor appointments, blah blah, blah.

But now that all of that has been [mostly] taken care of, what are my excuses now?  Millions of people, parents or not, manage to find the time in their day to exercise.  But, wait, oh!  I have to make curtains for the dining room.  Oh!  And my youngest starts her one-hour-fifteen-minute preschool class this week.  Gotta prepare for that.

Are those really excuses?

A broken foot?  Excuse.  Some other physical injury?  Excuse.  Making curtains for the dining room?  Not so much.

So what's the hold up?  I know how great I was feeling when I was working out every day.  I'm not lazy.  At the very least I've been walking about a mile every morning with my youngest.  I even bought these amazing PowerBlock weights when we moved here.  And I've used them once.  Once.
Nike, Greek Goddess of Victory

Nike is the Greek Goddess of Victory?  Nike.  The most popular brand of athletic footwear, with the most popular tagline: Just Do It.  She was the goddess of strength, speed and victory.  She flew around battlefields and rewarded all those who fought with praise and honor!  She is the ideal  representation of athletes.

So I'm going to Just Do It.  I'm going to leave the excuses behind.  And it's going to feel great.

No comments:

Post a Comment