Friday, October 9, 2015

Summer Salad

Over the summer -- during my transitional residence phase (I'll get into that later) -- while I was staying with my parents, my mom introduced me to the Lansdowne Farmer's Market.  We went every Saturday, and happened upon some lovely items, from produce to sweet treats.  One of the booths is a local restaurant (I think -- the vendors are listed on the site, but I can't remember which one!), and they have this amazing quinoa salad.

I know, I know.  Quinoa, you ask?  Gross.  Boring.  Dull.  NEXT!  Give it a chance, though!  I love quinoa.  It's high in protein, better than most grains (although it's actually a seed), and is high in iron and fiber.  And when you throw in some cucumbers, spinach, corn, and onions, well, you might as well just have a healthy lunch party!  So I will attempt to entice you with my version of their recipe.  It's very simple, very light, and simply delicious.

Venditti Quinoa Summer Salad:

  • 1 cup quinoa (any kind), uncooked
  • 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
  • 1/4 cup corn, sliced right off the cob, or frozen
  • 2 cups uncooked spinach (about 2 handfuls)
  • 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 clove of garlic, chopped
  • 3-5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  1. In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add quinoa.  Turn down the heat to a simmer leave be until liquid has been cooked out, about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Remove from heat.
  3. Add spinach to warm quinoa and combine.  Let the pot sit with the spinach in it, and allow to wilt, about 5-7 minutes; allow to cool for at least 30 - 40 minutes.
  4. For the dressing, in a small bowl, add the garlic to the red wine vinegar.  Whisk in the extra virgin olive oil until combined.  Start out with the smallest amount of olive oil as possible, and add more as needed.
  5. When the quinoa is cool, add the red onion, cucumber, and corn, and mix well.  Pour the dressing over the quinoa salad.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment